Thursday 6 December 2012

Half Way!

This is going to be brief. Primarily because I'm just plain out exhausted. I think the fatigue they talked about is starting to hit me. I find myself at moments during the day where I can barely keep my eyes open.

Well, I have just passed the half-way point in my treatment! [*trumpets*streamers*fanfare*]  I saw the oncologist again yesterday morning and he is still concerned about how I'm handling the treatment. It's a balancing act to make sure the treatment is strong enough to do the job but not so aggressive that it kills me in the process. True story! The first couple of times he said it I thought maybe the Dr was kidding. It's a bit of a scary thought that this treatment that is supposed to save my life can also cause the end of it. Anyway, at this stage the treatment is going to continue on so I guess that's a good sign. The oncologist is heading overseas to India to spend Christmas with his family so I will have the registrar keeping an eye on me for the next few weeks. Although, the Dr did give us his email address, which he said he doesn't normally do, so we can keep him informed of my progress while he's away plus he said he'd call the hospital periodically to check too. This afternoon after I'd finished my treatment while I was waiting to get some more medicine from the nurses station, one of the nurses came to tell me I had a phone call . . . ?  It was the Dr calling me from the airport to see if there were any changes from yesterday! WOW! Now that's going above and beyond.

It's such an encouragement to have the Dr keeping that close an eye on me but by the same token, it freaks me out. If he's watching me that closely, then like I said above, it may be that this is a lot more serious than I realised and a lot more touch and go. Well, apart from being more tired and now feeling more ulcers down my throat when I swallow, I believe I'm going well.


No comments:

Post a Comment