Monday 12 November 2012

One Down...

...only 32 left to go....

Well, today was day one of my treatment. It was an unusual feeling as we headed into the hospital this morning. So many emotions, it was really quite overwhelming. We weren't sure what to expect or how long we'd be there.

All the staff that we met today were absolutely lovely. It was a relief to be met at the front reception by such a lovely lady who took the time to go though all the ins and outs of the treatment schedule, Medicare forms, and parking permits with us. Although both Steve and I nearly lost it when she mentioned she'd be seeing us each day until AFTER Christmas!

The next step was to meet with one of the nurses. We spent approximately half an hour with her as we discussed the side effects, skin care, and general health during treatment. She gave me a tub of Sorbolene skin lotion to use (at least 2-3 times a day) and some mouth wash. She booked me into a Look Good, Feel Better hair and make up session specifically for women with cancer. We went through the relevant paperwork and then we marched down the corridor to wait for the treatment.

The next half an hour was in the treatment room. The time consuming part of radiotherapy is the actual setting up. They need to strap me into a specially made mask which then clips onto a bed/table thing to ensure I'm in the exact same position for each treatment. I'm claustrophobic at the best of times so this mask is quite, um, we'll, challenging to accept. It is helped slightly by the fact I have to have a clay mould in my mouth to hold my tongue and jaw in the same position too. I'm even worse with a gagging reflex so that meant I was too focused on not gagging to worry about being claustrophobic!

Once I was finally ready to go they took a couple of x-rays, just to make sure I was in the right position. It's all very precise! The machine did its thing and zapped radiation into my neck and face. That part of the treatment took all of about 2 minutes. I didn't feel a thing. I find it hard to wrap my mind around the thought that something so aggressive as radiotherapy can actually be painless to have done. (I'm not saying anything about feelings of pain or discomfort of the side effects that are yet to come!)

So, now what? A tablet to help sleep well tonight. Off to work for a few hours in the morning before heading back to the hospital for 2 of 33.

No comments:

Post a Comment