Friday 2 November 2012

The details...what they've told me

They've told me...
...I have a rare cancer of the salivary gland.
...there's little information about it.
...they haven't actually come across it too often here.
...the margins weren't clear after surgery.
...it doesn't spread via the lymphatic system.
...it spreads through the nervous system.
...it doesn't respond to chemotherapy.
...they'll need to give me a hefty dose of radiotherapy.
...my skin will look like its been badly sunburnt.
...I'll lose my sense of taste.
...the inside of my mouth will ulcerate.
...my mouth will become dry, permanently.
...I'll lose a patch of hair from the back of my head, permanently.
...they'll give me plenty of medication to manage the pain.
...I can't wear any make up during treatment.
...I'll be fatigued.
...it's called Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Karen I don't know much about you or your situation but in reading I think there maybe one vital thing they didn't tell you or if they did you are finding it hard to focus on right now, totally understandable btw. what you need to remember is that you can get through this, no matter what the odds you can make it through. by the sound of it you have a lot of of people who love you very much and are praying for you. don't be afraid to lean on them as I am sure you have been there for them in their hours of need. Have faith you will get through this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I really appreciate your encouraging words. They did actually tell me the prognosis & to be honest, I'm choosing not to put it out there as a black & white number because it's really overwhelming & just plain out scary! I am choosing to focus on being a positive number for now because all I know for sure is that the number of my days is known by no man and God alone holds my life in His hands. For that I am thankful & I praise Him for every new day! I know that His grace is sufficient for me and His power is made perfect in my weakness. Through Him I will get through this!

      Delete
    2. And that is why you will continue to bless and be blessed beautiful Karen Z ! xxx Much Love Annie

      Delete
  2. Karen, I am praying so much for you. You are an amazing witness to others in sharing your faith in the One who has your future in His hands. When life is so incredibly hard and seems dark to us, we can rest assured that God's presence and glory will shine even brighter, as He gives us His grace and showers us with His incredible love. You are very loved and cared for, and our Lord will never leave or forsake you. I hope that is a comfort to you today and every day. God is still on the throne. I pray you can be still, and know that He is God. Much love to you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen,I also have been diagnosed with Adenoid Cystic in the sinus and i went through radiotherapy and 3 ops this time last year (by the way I was told my hair would not grow back but it did!). Now I have regular checks and hope I get lots of time before it makes a reappearance (maybe it wont who knows?) For me the worse thing is the unpredictability but I suppose thats life. Stick with the radiotherapy, best wishes, K

    ReplyDelete